Sunday, February 15, 2009

Really, America, Really?

I have been an avid fan of the Olympics ever since I can remember. I was there during Ohno mania. I recall watching Tara Lipinkski narrowly beat out Asian favorite Michelle Kwan for the Gold. I even wrote an article in my 5th grade newsletter (which I made by myself ... voluntarily) about Kerry Strug and the unforgettable Women's Gymnastics team at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. Needless to say, I've followed it all. Although it may be surprising to some people, as I am definitely not a sports person, but there is something magical and riveting about athletes from all over the world to come together for two weeks to celebrate something they all have in common. I guess it just humanizes everyone in a way.

And this summer's Beijing Olympics was no different. I meticulously followed sports online that I would never care about otherwise, like indoor volleyball, or badminton. I stayed up in the wee hours of the morning (See: NBC's Dr. Nancy Snyderman Olympic Health Tips) just so I could watch all the coverage from the future day in China. But nothing was more nerve wracking/awesome than racing home just to see Michael Phelps swim those 8 races. He became not only an American hero, but a hero for swimmers and athletes everywhere. Suddenly this 14 Olympic Gold Medal winner was put on a pedestal for the entire world to look up at. He literally was "The Golden Boy."

Then, this past week, a picture surfaced of him using a bong at a party. Next thing you know, he's getting a different kind of media attention, dropped by Kellogs, and even suspended by the IOC for 3 months because of the picture. And even with his apology, and voluntary extra drug tests come race time, he still has many a critic.

Now, I'm not one to judge (ok, i totally am), but my question is : does anyone actually care anymore that he's smoking pot? To be completely fair, he is a 23 year old guy who was flung into this crazy world of professional swimming, and i'm only assuming because of his rigorous training schedule, never did get to do all the things that kids his age do these days. Ok, given, he did get that DUI in 2004, but that's completely different. He was an idiot about that. But this particular instance, he was at a private party, and barring smoking pot, not doing anything illegal. Just because some douchebag decides to make money for this picture, his image is damaged.

And for those who say, "well he was stupid enough to let someone take a picture of him" i say, "are you kidding me?" he wasn't even looking at the camera, A. B, with technology these days, people can easily take pictures secretly with their digital camera or cell phone. If Michael Phelps wasn't Michael Phelps, this picture would be just another kid at a college party and it would be one of the pictures on Facebook the next day, with a caption that says "this kid was fuckin siiick."

I think that even more so with this generation, marijuana is a drug comparable to cigarettes. As much as I hate to report it, "Cocaine is the new Pot." And although still illegal in the US, it's just not that big of a deal as it used to be. Take a look at Massachusetts for example. We even passed a law saying, listen, pot is illegal, but if they only have a small amount on them, we're not going to lock them up. we need to focus our time on the real bad guys.

But I digress. Basically, my feelings on this issue can be summed up in one simple commentary called, "Really?" from the most recent Weekend Update with Seth Meyers on SNL.




So, all in all, whatever happens to him will (hopefully) be forgotten by 2012. It's just proof that Michael Phelps, this "Golden Boy", this perfection of swimming, isn't perfect. He's just like 23 year old kids around the world, and at the very least, for just a brief moment in time, it brings him down to the laypersons' level, and essentially humanizes him in a we'd never thought possible.

1 comment:

  1. Love the SNL clip! I swear, without you Traci I live in a media-less bubble.

    ReplyDelete