Friday, April 17, 2009

(Il)legally Download This!

It's that time again. Here are April's picks for (Il)legally Download This!

Lily Allen F*%k You
I recently downloaded this entire album, and it was hard to choose just one to feature in this post. But alas, like Sophie's choice, I picked the song "F@$k You" (i'm not really sure why i'm censoring myself, but i'm sure you can figure it out). Now on first thought, one would think that with a title like that, the general tone of the song would be better suited for a band like .. i don't know, Metallica or ... Gwar. Maybe that's just me. But Lily puts a 'Sesame Street/skipping down the street on a sunny day with butterflies and bubbles in the air' vibe to the lyrics. Pure brilliance. I heard somewhere that she wrote it with George Bush in mind. Seems about right. I'm using it as a theme song for any customers/patrons I encounter at both of my jobs.

Lady Gaga The Fame
Yes, as catchy/annoying as "Just Dance" and "Poker Face" are, I think Lady Gaga actually has some talent. If you've ever seen her live - in real life or not - she does have a good voice. Sometimes the outfits may be a little too much, but she sure does put on one hell of a show. Her entire album is along the same lines as her first two singles, a dance/pop/techno feel, and this song is no different. Kind of like Lily Allen, she tells it like it is. Eg, the lyrics "Damn I love the Jag, the jet and the mansion...And I enjoy the gifts and trips to the islands...It's good to live expensive you know." She know's what's up. And I don't think she's going away any time soon. Specifically because she won't let bitchez make her go away.

Karina Pasian/Kat Badar
Slow Motion
So this song is actually by an aspiring musician on YouTube by the name of Kat Badar. Coincidentally, she happens to be Filipino, so I mean ... Flip Pride what what. Besides that, she is an AMAZING singer, and I can only compare her to the likes of Adele. A soulful voice coming from a small tiny girl always astounds me. She does covers of R&B songs, and this song, "Slow Motion" is by a girl who I've never even heard of, Karina Pasian. I also listened to the original and she sucks, proving that a cover of a song can kick the original's ass any day. [See Jeff Buckey's 'Hallelujah'] She's the next big thing, so look out for her.



Ben Folds/Mosaic Whispers Still Fighting It
So I have a special spot in my heart for a cappella groups. Collegiate or non collegiate, some of these groups are the most talented singers and musicians out there. I have spent hours (embarrassingly) watching YouTube videos of a cappella groups around the country, mainly doing covers of hit songs. And apparently, Ben Folds got news that these groups are really impressive too. So for his latest album, he had a contest of sorts, to invite all college acappella groups to do covers of his songs, and he would pick the best ones to be on his University A Cappella CD. This particular song is one of the best on the album, done by the Washington University in St. Louis' Mosaic Whispers. It gives a haunting version of the original by Ben Folds, and I'd say that some of these covers are actually better than the original (sorry Ben Folds!).

Jesse McCartney Crash & Burn
Before you judge, listen to the song. Jesse's album came out early last year, but he recently added a few new songs, including this one and re-released his album as Departure: Recharged. All of the new songs are great, and that includes this one. When I first heard it, it reminded me of a song that an artist like NeYo would do, which is great, because I actually like NeYo. I also really like the direction Jesse's going in with his music, and I can't wait for his next album. PLUS, he's a smokeshow. Just sayin.


Awesome New Republic ft. Leighton Meester Birthday
Wow, I should really have just called this post "Covers I like better than the original." But alas, I'm already at the last song, and it's too late to change the title (not really I'm just lazy). So here's a band you probably never heard of. And I hadn't heard of them until I came across this remix/cover version featuring Leighton Meester. Ok, so that last name some of you might not know, but she plays bitch extraordinaire Blair Waldorf on Gossip Girl. Apparently, she's also an aspiring singer, and she recently got signed with Universal Music, so her album will be coming out in the near future. And judging how much I've been listening to this song, her album better be amazing!



April (Il)legally DL This

No comments:

Post a Comment