Thursday, March 10, 2011

Oprah Made Me Do It: Vegan Challenge 2K11

Well folks, Lent is upon us again, and while in the past years, I've decided to give to others rather than give something up, this year I'm going back to the giving up idea. And it's all Oprah's fault.

Tracy Jordan: So what's your religion, Liz Lemon?
Liz: I pretty much do whatever Oprah tells me to.

Last week, I finally watched an episode of Oprah that I DVRed back in like December, where she and 300 of the Harpo staff members took a week long Vegan challenge. They changed their diets, habits and lives all within one week. From the episode, it looked easy enough, and seemed to make everyone healthier than they ever been. So here we are. I've decided to go for the same challenge.

It seems a little unlike me (and insane for that matter) to go straight from being a meat eater, by passing the whole vegetarian nonsense and going straight for veganism. But hey, why not? So to start, I raided my kitchen for all the things that contain animal or animal product, and let me tell you, I was barely left with anything. (I'll miss you, cheese. The most.)


After purchasing a Vegan cookbook and making a list of all the essential items I need, I went to Trader Joe's and bought these items. Really looking forward to the chickenless nuggets. But really.


Day one here we go. I'll try to update my blog with the stuff I make and if I'm even surviving this thing. Who knows how long this will last, but I'm determine to do this challenge for at least 2 weeks! And if I make it to Easter, I'll make tofu for everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment